It begins in 1878 when Fr. Kuhlman, pastor of St. Mary's in Marshall was authorized to establish a mission church. Charles Wekenman, who owned a large merchantile business in the town helped finance the parish.
In 1897, the mission was closed, but reopened in 1904 when oil was discovered in the Casey-Martinsville area. At that time, Fr. Patrick Ducey of Marshall came and offered mass in various halls around town.
In 1913, Fr. William O'Sullivan, with the financial help of Mr. P. Finkler, purchased an abandoned church with two lots at the corner of Southeast 3rd and Jefferson Streets. The church, although remodeled and enlarged in 1915, and again in 1956, is still in use.
In October of 1924, the responsibility for the parish was given to Franciscan priests of Teutopolis and was no longer a mission of Marshall. This arrangement continued until 1937 when it was attached to the new church at Greenup.
From 1973 to 1975, the parish was once again under the direction of the priest at Marshall, but then returned to sharing a priest with Greenup. This arrangement continued until 1998, when the priest who cared for Greenup and Casey was also given Marshall.
The parish has one native son ordained to the priesthood. He was Fr. Frederick Wekeman who taught at the Catholic University in Washington D.C. They also have a religious sister native to the parish, Sr. Regina Graham, a Dominican.
The parish includes all the western half of Clark County, including the towns of Martinsville, Casey, and Westfield. The parish has an active Council of Catholic Women and Holy Name Society along with many members who volunteer in the parish and community ministry. There is good spirit and cooperation. The parish has over 60 families. The parish was able to complete the goal of building their own parish hall in 2002.
Church Staff Pastor: Fr. Augustine Koomson DRE: Karla Huddlestun Liturgist: Teresa Hoecherl Collections: Mark Gebben
Mass Times Sundays at 9:30 a.m. Monday at 7:00 a.m